Friday, May 24, 2013

Potato Patties

I love potatoes and must, I say must, have some every few days. It doesn’t really matter how they are cooked—boiled, baked, mashed, fried, potato salad, scalloped, etc. Today we’re talking one of my favorites, mashed potatoes.

Have you ever wondered what to do with left-over mashed potatoes? Well, the answer lies in potato patties. These are wonderful tasting little patties that go well with about anything you put on the plate.  My husband and I love these so whenever I make mashed potatoes, I always make extra to use the following day. So simple to make.


Potato Patties ready to fry
Potato Patties ready to eat
Put the mashed potatoes in a mixing bowl and add about ½ cup flour, salt and pepper. Mix together gently so that you have a flour coating. Squeeze off a small portion and shape into a round. In a frying pan, heat a tablespoon or so of canola oil. Place the patties in the pan and brown on both sides. This will take at least 5 minutes each side using medium heat. Set finished patties on a paper towel covered plate to soak up any oil.

If you want to be more creative, add one small sweet onion or scallion, diced into small pieces to the mixture. Diced sweet pepper is also good. Have any left over bacon? Crumble and add to the potato flour mixture. How about some shredded cheese? I have tried this a number of ways and love them all.

Try it, you’ll like it!

 Maggie

2 comments:

  1. Love those! I wish I had a big plate of those yummies right now....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanna try to make these, Maggie. They look SO good!

    ReplyDelete